Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk



Mental Health Accommodation Care Support Services Team

What services do we provide?

Residential services provide care, support and accommodation. This might be in small ordinary houses, with a family or befriender, or in larger purpose built units.

A variety of options are available which may meet your needs. You might need permanent residential care or only a short-stay or a period of rehabilitation. People using residential services are supported, in order to take a full part in daily life. This support may include help with personal care needs, advice, counselling and help with ordinary daily living activities.

An individual plan is agreed, which will help to use existing skills and develop new ones leading towards greater independence.

Who is eligible?

Adults aged from 18-65 years, with a physical, sensory, or learning disability, or with mental health problems, may be eligible for residential services.

You will also find information on this site about Residential Care for Older People.

Before you may receive residential services, someone from Adults and Communities will visit you and any carer involved with you. You will be asked about your needs and circumstances in a careful and sensitive way. This is called an assessment of need.

Not everyone will be able to receive residential services but if you can, you will be able to look around at what is available, ask questions and gather information, and state your preferences.

Adults and Communities Assessment

To work out the type of help you require, an assessment will need to be arranged by a social worker and is divided into two parts:

A fair access to care services assessment. This considers all your needs and decides if you need a care home or a care home with nursing or other services. We have more information on this site about Fair Access to Care Services.

Financial assessment. To decide if you are eligible for financial assistance towards the cost of a care home or care home with nursing, and if so, how much you will have to contribute toward the cost of your care. For details on the cost of residential care, please see our Accommodation Charges page

If you have a social worker or health worker, their care assessment will tell you whether you meet the criteria for a place in a care home or a care home with nursing. You would then be financially assessed to decide how much you will have to pay toward the costs of residential care. If you do not have a social worker or health worker you may want to inquire about whether you would be entitled to financial assistance before asking for a care assessment.

If you require a place in a care home or care home with nursing in an emergency, you, or someone on your behalf, must contact us for an urgent assessment before or immediately after the admission. There should be no assumption that the Council will pay the fees until the assessment has been completed. Choosing a Care Home or Care Home with Nursing.

Once, following assessment, you have met the criteria for residential care, you have a right to choose any care home or care home with nursing, providing:

  • It is in England or Wales
  • It is registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC)
  • There is a place available
  • It is suitable for you

How much will you have to pay?

The Council will make a financial assessment to work out how much you will have to pay toward the cost of your care. For more details, see the Care Home Contributions leaflet at the bottom of this page, or view ourAccommodation Charges page.

How Adults and Communities will help you choose

Your social worker or health worker will advise you following assessment whether you meet the criteria for a place in a care home or care home with nursing and then help you decide which home you want to move into.

You will be made aware of different types of homes available:

If you meet the criteria for care homes, these are:

  • local authority homes; private homes; voluntary or charitable homes; housing association "Housing with Care;" small homes (less than four residents).

If you meet the criteria for care homes with nursing, these are:

  • private homes; voluntary or charitable homes.

You will also be provided with information about homes in the area of your choice (within Birmingham). While you may visit as many homes as you wish, your social worker or health worker will assist you to make arrangements to visit up to three homes, which may include staying at a home for the day (free of charge in contracted homes).

Making your decision

While your social worker or health worker can provide all the information mentioned here, the final decision is yours.

Because the decision is an important one, you should carefully consider whether the home you have chosen best meets all your needs.

The following points may help in making your decision:

  • First impressions - do the staff and manager appear welcoming? Do the other residents look happy and cared for? Does it feel homely?
  • Location - are the grounds / gardens attractive? Will your friends or relatives be able to visit you easily? Are there shops and amenities nearby?
  • Life within the home - are the bedrooms equipped to meet your needs and can you bring personal items with you? How are residents involved in decisions about life in the home? Look at a sample food menu - is there adequate choice?
  • Personal care - is the home able to meet your specific cultural requirements? Are visitors welcome at any time? Does it have facilities you needs, such as a lift, assisted bath and easy access?

This is only a short list of things to consider; you can find more information about residential care homes in Birmingham through the Birmingham CareSearch web site. We are currently revising our Birmingham Care Homes Directory and will attach it at the bottom of this page when it's ready. Please talk the information over with your social worker or care manager, relatives or friends, or obtain other written material, before making your decision.

Moving in to the home of your choice

The Placement Agreement and Contract

Once you have made a decision, arrangements can be made for your move into your new home. Your social worker or health worker will, together with you, your family or friends and the home manager agree a date for your move.

Placement or Residential Accommodation Agreement

Just before you move you will be asked to read and sign a placement agreement. This will also be signed by a representative from Adults and Communities, a representative from Health (if you are moving into a care home with nursing) and the home manager or owner. It is a legal document that places responsibilities on each of the parties signing and it is an important protection of your rights. You cannot move in until the placement agreement is signed.

Trial Period

The first four weeks of your stay will be considered a trial period which allows both you and the home's staff to decide if it is suitable for you and whether you wish to stay. During this period you should not sell, or terminate, the tenancy of your home. Should you wish to leave, or the home asks you to leave, during the trial period, the period of notice is seven days.

In either case please contact your social worker or health worker. The cost of care is not free for the trial period. Although your property will be disregarded for the first 12 weeks of your stay, you will still have to pay a contribution towards care during this period. This contribution will be based on the benefits and other incomes/savings that you have.

Initial review

Toward the end of the trial period we will review the situation with you, the home manager, your social worker or health worker and your relatives and friends. This meeting will decide if the home meets your needs and if you wish to remain at the home. If you decide to move, or it is decided that your needs can only be met in another home, your social worker or health worker will assist you in choosing another home, or possibly help you return home.

Standards to expect

We aim to provide services which meet the required national standards in social care. These standards cover equality, confidentiality, supporting individual's rights and choices, acknowledging individual's personal beliefs and identity, and the use of the types of communication which are right for you.

  • Every new person receiving a residential service will have an Individual Service Statement which will clearly set out what service will be provided, how, where and when;
  • Each person will have a written Placement Agreement which is between the individual, the residential home and the Local Authority;
  • Your service will be reviewed regularly in line with your changing needs;
  • Any comments, suggestions or complaints will be listened to carefully and responded to promptly;
  • Any discrimination on grounds of race, gender, disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, national origin, nationality, age, marital status, responsibility for dependants, religion, will be investigated and dealt with.

Suggestions or complaints

If you would like the services to be changed in some way to improve your stay, please inform the home manager and if necessary ask to use their complaints procedures.

  • For Care Homes, phone 0121 600 5720
  • For Care Homes with nursing, phone 0121 600 5730

If you are staying in a home run by the Council you may also use our complaints procedure. If you are still unhappy with the service provided and this is covered by the contract, you may request that a mediator is appointed to resolve the dispute itself with the home or Adults and Communities. Failing this, an arbitrator may be appointed and finally, in exceptional circumstances, you may seek redress through the courts.

Complaints about the Council

If you have any complaints against the Council, arrangements will be made to look into these and try to resolve the problem. You may ask for a copy of our complaints procedures at any time.

More information and contact details

To find out more about residential services, for yourself, a friend, partner or relative, please contact us.

Other pages

Adults and Communities home page

Rehabilitation and Enablement Service