School governors play a vital role in the education system and have important powers and duties that involve:
- providing a strategic direction for the work and improvement of the school;
- supporting, monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of the school; and
- holding the school to account for the standards achieved and the quality of education.
School and Governor Support provides a comprehensive governor training and coaching service for school governors in Birmingham that covers all aspects of their role and responsibilities. This service is delivered through:
- A full programme of specialist course subjects including basic induction, specific governor roles, managing school finances and the safeguarding of children.
Follow this link to the current governor training programme.
- Bespoke training for whole governing bodies planned and delivered by an allocated Link Governor Trainer to the school and based on the governing body’s specific needs and priorities. The Link Trainer can also help prepare the Governing Body for school (Ofsted) inspection, with particular reference to the current Ofsted framework and the increased engagement of governors in the inspection process and involvement in discussions when inspectors make their judgements.
Enquiries and bookings that relate to whole Governing Body training can be made by telephone 0121 464 2215 or via email to
Please note that induction training for new governors should be treated as a priority by the Governing Body and that new governors should be strongly encouraged to attend an induction course as soon as possible.
To help governing bodies review their own training needs, 'The Effective Governing Body - An Audit Tool', published annually, is available to schools that subscribe to School & Governor Support. This, along with the governing body work-planner, forms a framework for assessing procedures and policies necessary to ensure effective governance.
Most governing bodies have a Link Governor who directs individual governors to the training and support available and who keeps track of the training offered by the Local Authority.
If you are a member of a governing body without a link governor nominate someone to play this vital role now or you may miss out on updates and training opportunities.