Qualifying distances for Scholars Passes
If your child goes to a school more than the qualifying distance from your home, measured by the shortest available walking route, the School Travel Service may be able to provide your child with a free scholars pass to enable them to use bus and train services to attend school.
You will, however, have to pay if your child goes to a school more than the qualifying distance from your home because that is the school you want, even though your child could have gone to a school within that distance.
At the date of publication the qualifying distances measured by the shortest available walking routes are:
For pupils who started at a school before 01 September 2013
- For pupils up to 8 years of age: 1 mile
- For pupils between 8 and 11 years of age: 1.5 miles
- For pupils over 11 years of age: 3 miles
For pupils who started at a school on or after 01 September 2013
- For children up to 8 years of age: 2 miles
- For children aged 8 and over : 3 miles
These distances are subject to review by Birmingham City Council.
Low Income Families
Children from low income families (children who are in receipt of free school meals or whose parents are in receipt of the maximum of working tax credit) may be eligible for free transport assistance if:
Primary Aged Pupils
- they are aged between 8 and 11 years of age and are attending their nearest ‘qualifying’ school and it is more than 2 miles from their home address;
Secondary Aged Pupils (Years 7 to 11 ONLY)
- they are aged between 11 and 16 years of age and are attending one of the three nearest ‘qualifying’ schools from their home address where they live more than 2 miles but less than 6 miles from that school.
- they are aged between 11 and 16 years of age and are attending the nearest school preferred by reason of a parent’s religion or beliefs where they live more than 2 miles but not more than 15 miles away from that school.
Evidence of eligibility is required.
You need to tell School Travel immediately if you move house, because your application needs to be reassessed.
If you move house whilst your child is in the final year of primary school (Year 6) or in Years 10 or 11 at secondary school, and the school is beyond the 'Qualifying Distance' and your child already has a free travel pass, School Travel can consider continuing to help your child to attend the same school.
Children in other school years can be considered for assistance if, at the time of moving house, it was not possible to obtain a place at a nearer school within the qualifying distance
Contact School Travel for further information.