School and Governor Support provides an advice-based service to subscribing ggoverning bodies. Any member of the team is available to deal with issues such as:
- Legal advice on Governing Body proceedings with particular reference to the application of current school governance regulations.
- Governing Body constitution and membership.
- Terms of office for governors.
- Appointment of Local Authority representative governors.
- Procedures and guidance on the election of parent, teacher and staff governors.
- Assisting schools in the recruitment of Parent Governors.
- Technical advice on governing body meetings including quorums, committees, delegation of functions, etc.
- Provision of advice and guidance as a result of legislative changes.
- Supporting the clerking arrangements of Governing Bodies including recruitment, payment and the provision of temporary clerks.
Governors can access up to date information on training and development course, including:
- Induction and refresher courses for new governors, governing body chairs and clerks.
- Accreditation of governing body clerks.
- Organisation and delivery of specialist day and evening training courses.
- Whole school governing body training customised to individual needs.
Information for school governors about school management issues, training and other activities is available from the Birmingham's electronic briefing system: eBriefing.
Go to eBriefing and type the word 'governor' in the search window to see what is there for Birmingham's school governors.
For further information on any of the items listed above, or queries that relate to the clerking of school governing bodies, please contact School and Governor Support.
The Birmingham Governors’ Network (BGN) is your local governor association and has a significant role in supporting governors throughout the City. It also provides a formal channel of communication with the Birmingham Local Authority and a mechanism for consultation and negotiation an all education policy matters.