Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Conservation Areas - Getting Permission

There are several types of permission you may need if you live in a Conservation Area. You should always check whether you need permission before starting any work contact us if you have any queries.

You may need Planning Permission and Building Regulations approval for some alterations and extensions and also Conservation Area Consent if you want to carry out demolition work.

Your building may also be listed, and so you may need Listed Building Consent. In this case there are special restrictions that apply.

Works in certain Conservation Areas may also have archaeological implications.

If works are carried out without the necessary permission, we can serve an Enforcement Notice requiring the building to be put back into its original condition. Failure to comply with an Enforcement Notice can lead to a fine of up to £20,000 being imposed by a Magistrates Court or an unlimited fine in the Crown Court.

All trees in Conservation Areas are protected. You will need permission to carry out any works to trees and you must give us 6 weeks notice of any work you wish to carry out. It is a criminal offence to cut, lop, uproot, wilfully damage or fell any tree in a Conservation Area without permission. The maximum penalty of up £20,000 can be imposed by a Magistrates Court or an unlimited fine in the Crown Court.

Forms for applying for all permissions together with guidance notes are available at the Planning Portal.

In some areas, for example Bournville or the Calthorpe Estate in Edgbaston, you may also need the estate manager's permission. You should contact the estate manager to find out whether permission is needed and how to apply.
BCC Footer

Last Updated : 6th November 2013