Historic Farms in Sutton Coldfield
Detailed recording of historic farms in Sutton Coldfield, have helped demonstrate both the richness of Birmingham agricultural heritage, and how appropriate research can help to develop and improve proposals for new uses.
Langley Heath Farm
Langley Heath Farm house in Fox Hollies Road is probably 17th century in date with an 18th century wing.The west building range of the adjoining farm buildings was identified as an integrated structure of barn, stable, granary and loose box, likely to date from the early 18th century. Its roof contains jointed and pegged queen strut timber trusses.Tree-ring dating showed that the timbers were from trees cut down shortly before 1775. The east range was probably added in the third quarter of the 19th century, and includes a cowhouse and cartshed.
Conversion of the buildings retains fixtures and fittings including a 19th century segmental arched window, with small - pane cast iron frame, the only surviving original window. .
Barn Farm , Lindridge Road : from Barn to Chapel
Documentary sources suggest that there was a building on the site of Barn Farm in Lindridge Road in the 16th century but a survey in 2005 prior to demolition showed that virtually all the surviving buildings resulted from an extensive rebuilding of the site in the first half of the 19th century.
The only structures pre-dating this were two stone walls, probably of buildings depicted on maps of 1811 and 1821, and some reused timbers.
The date of the rebuilding is suggested by a rise in the rental value of the property in 1837. This phase involved the demolition of earlier buildings and the erection of a two-storey house, cow shed and barn.
In 1879 the barn was extended and converted into a Mission Room for used as a chapel-of-ease for the parish church of Holy Trinity.These works resulted in the addition of the east bay, and included the insertion of an iron window formerly used in Holy Trinity Church, the insertion of other windows, the addition of external buttresses, false hammer beam trusses, and a porch at the west end along with internal finishing to the building to create a mission room.
This use ceased by 1903, perhaps because of its replacement by the Mission Church that had been built on Hollyfield Road. The building was then reverted back to agricultural use and a wide cart entrance was inserted in the east gable and the porch door was blocked.
Peddimore Hall farm buildings: recycling timbers
A detailed record was made of farm buildings near Peddimore Hall prior to their conversion to dwellings. The oldest surviving building is a timber-framed barn, with its walls resting on stone footings. Only parts of the original timber-framed walls remain, because they were mostly replaced by brick at a later date, but there are substantial roof trusses which include timbers reused from earlier buildings. Tree-ring dating showed that the barn was built in the early 18th century using timbers from 16th and 17th century buildings, possibly earlier barns.
Last Updated: 22nd August 2012