Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

High Hedges - Complaints Procedure

Related Links
What you can do if a neighbours hedge is affecting your light

If a neighbouring hedge is affecting the light to your property, the first thing to do is to talk to your neighbour. Even if you eventually ask the Council to help with your complaint, you must have evidence that you and your neighbour have tried to come to a mutually acceptable agreement.

The Council cannot accept a complaint until you have made every reasonable effort to discuss the problem with your neighbour. Approaching the Council should be a last resort.

If necessary you should suggest to your neighbour mediation may help you come to a compromise.

All these avenues must be fully exploited before the Council can become involved in your complaint.

The government leaflet, Over the Garden Hedge (below)can give you advice on methods of approaching your neighbour. If, however, negotiation and mediation fail, you can then submit a formal complaint to the Council for it to act as an independent and impartial third party.

What to do if someone has complained about your hedge

If a complaint is made about a hedge you own, we will write to you and you will have the opportunity to make comments to the Council.

Those comments will be taken into account when we determine the complaint.

If a Remedial Notice is served and you wish to appeal against the Notice you can do so to the Planning Inspectorate.

If you disagree with the Councils decision on a complaint about a high hedge, or with any remedial notice that may have been issued, you may be able to submit an appeal. High Hedge Appeals are dealt with by the Planning Inspectorate.

Guidance for appellants and an appeal form are available on the Planning Inspectorate website.

Further advice about appeals can also be found in the government leaflet

BCC Footer

Last Updated : 11th November 2013