Monyhull Hall: History Hidden in the Barn
Examination of an old barn has revealed the hidden history of Monyhull Hall in Kings Norton. Monyhull Hall is first mentioned in historic documents in 1608, but we know that there was an estate called Monyhull as far back as 1237 and that a watermill on the Chinn Brook near the site was being built in 1286. Monyhull Hall was rebuilt in the 1730s and additions were made to it in the 19th century. Oak beams used in the cellar and roof of Monyhull Hall have mortises and peg holes which show that they were formerly part of a timber building, probably the Monyhull mentioned in 1608. Monyhull Hall is a Grade II listed building.
Buildings around the Hall included the barn, which was marked on a map of 1838. The type of brickwork used in the barn suggested that it was built in the 18th century.
The Council consented to demolition this building as part of new development in 2000, on condition that the developers made a detailed record of it. The roof, which was not accessible before the recording started, was a considerable surprise. It was a substantial timber roof dating to the 16th or 17th centuries, and holes for wall timbers showed that the whole barn had originally been timber framed. A further surprise was yet to come. The roof timbers had some poorly fitted joints which indicated that they themselves were from an earlier building, and this was confirmed by tree-ring dates which showed that the timbers were from trees felled between 1466 and 1501. They may have come from an earlier Monyhull Hall, which would have been about the same date as the Old Crown in High Street Deritend in the city centre, constructed about 1500.
Last Updated : 23rd August 2012