Unfortunately some of our forms will be unavailable between 03/07/15 (17:00 hours) and 06/07/15 (08:00 hours). We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
Bridge Design and Maintenance
The Highways structures group manage the entire bridge stock and related structures within the road network of Birmingham. The group has the responsibility for fulfilling the statutory obligations of the Council as the Highway Authority. Ensuring public safety and maintaining the bridge stock and related structures are our key priorities.
What we do
- Execution of the highway authority duties and functions in relation to Highway Structures, including Road bridges, Footbridges, Subways, Retaining Walls, Sign Gantries, Safety Fences
- Inspection and structural assessment of Council owned bridges and co-ordination of assessment work carried out on Railway bridges by external consultants.
- Design, site supervision and contract management of bridge strengthening.
- Maintenance and renewal schemes arising from the results of the assessment and inspection work.
- We undertake necessary risk assessments and devising the appropriate monitoring and intervention regime.
Management of abnormal load movements and liaison with Statutory Undertakers in connection with the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991
- Provision of a full specialist structural consultancy service to all other Departments of the Council, including acting as the Technical Approval Authority for the AIP procedures for external developments.
- Provide a 24 hour specialist technical service for emergency defects on the highway structures.
For more information regarding bridge design and maintenance please contact firstname.lastname@example.org