Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk



Unauthorised Encampments - FAQs

Does the City Council have a policy in relation to unlawful sites?
Yes. Birmingham City Council has a Policy drawn up with the West Midland Police. This sets out the action that will be taken by each organisation in relation to unauthorised encampments in Birmingham.This includes direct action by the Police where appropriate and also action to evict where trespass occurs on Council owned land.

Who deals with unauthorised encampments enforcement work in Birmingham?
The Unauthorised Encampments Team deal with all such issues. The team are based within the Environmental Protection Unit of Regulatory Services and are responsible for dealing with unauthorised encampments in the City of Birmingham. Where there is an illegal occupation of council owned land, the team will carry out eviction as detailed in the guidance ‘Managing Unauthorised Encampments’, a joint policy of Birmingham City Council and West Midlands Police. Where there is an illegal occupation of privately owned sites, it is the responsibility of the land owner to arrange for repossession of the land through the Courts. The Unauthorised Encampments Team are able to offer advice and support to land owners during this process.
For enquiries telephone the team on 0121 303 9900
or contact us via our email form at Environmental Health contact us

What are the tiemscales involved in removing unauthorised encampments from a given site?
This is dependant on the legal route taken by the land owner. There are normally two routes that can be taken by the City Council and these are:

(1) Serving a Common Law Notice which allows those involved to remain for a period of 7 days on the land, after which they are evicted by Bailiffs.

(2) Through the Courts using Part 55 of the Civil Procedure Rules. This process can take up to two weeks to implement but does offer protection to the land against re-incursion which Common Law does not.

How many Official Traveller Sites are there in Birmingham?
The official traveller site which is managed by the City Council is situated at Tameside Drive, Castle Bromwich. The site accomodates 16 Pitches. Enquiries about renting a pitch should be made to the Housing Department on 0121 303 4125.