Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Comments, Compliments and Complaints Service for Children's Services - regarding Social Workers, Residential Homes and Adoption

If you use Children’s services, you may want to make a comment, compliment or complaint. This page tells you how to do this.
Birmingham City Council is committed to putting people first. We are always working hard to improve the services we provide.

There are different procedures to deal with comments, compliments and complaints about other Birmingham City Council services, for more information please visit Your Views page.

Comments and Compliments

When monitoring the quality of the services we provide, it is also important for us to know about things that are going well or how the service can be improved. It is good to be able to give staff positive feedback. Use our online form to send your comments and/or compliments or complete and send the attached form at the bottom of this page. Your views are important to us; you can help us do things better.


Who Can Complain?

You can complain if you are a user of a service, or feel you have a right to a service from the directorate, or if you are a carer or a representative acting on the Service user’s behalf.

+ What can I complain about?

The complaints process

Stage one:- Problem solving/mediation If you are unhappy with the services provided by the directorate you should first talk to your social worker, key worker, foster carer, manager of the service concerned, an adult you trust. Alternatively you may complete our online form or complete the attached form at the bottom of this page.

+ Mediation

Stage two:- Independent investigation/mediation If you are not happy with the way things were resolved at stage one, and you want to take it further, you should either:

  • tell the manager that you want to make a formal complaint
  • complete the online form (if you have not already done so)
  • complete the form attached below (if you have not already done so)
  • call the Customer Relations Service on tel: 303 5161, Option 2
  • Email: CYPFSSCustomerRelations@birmingham.gov.uk

You should receive an acknowledgement to your complaint within two working days.

An Independent Investigation Officer will investigate your complaint. Also, an independent person will be appointed who will oversee how the investigation officer undertakes their investigation.

The outcome of your complaint

You will receive a copy of the independent investigation officer’s report and a letter of response within 25 - 65 working days from the senior manager concerned. You will be notified of any delays.

What to do if you are unhappy with the outcome

You should first contact the person who sent you the letter to try to sort the matter out. If you are still unhappy, you have the right to ask for your complaint to be looked at by an Independent Review Panel. This can be arranged if you contact the Customer Relations Service within 20 working days of receiving the Directorate’s response to your complaint.

Stage Three:– The Review The Independent Review Panel will look at the way your complaint has been dealt with by the directorate. You will have the chance to express your views. The panel members will be independent of the directorate. You will be sent the relevant information before the Review. You can also speak to the Customer Relations Manager if anything is unclear.

+ The outcome of the review

Help and support that is available to you

It is important that you can get support from outside of the directorate. The Customer Relations Service can arrange for an independent advocate to assist you. This service is free of charge if you are a child or are unable to present your views either in writing or verbally. The role of the independent advocate is to promote and protect your rights and interests.
You can also talk to advocate from the Rights and Participation Service on 0121 303 7217.
  • children in care (section 20)
  • care leavers
  • children subject to child protection plans

Referrals can be sent to:- advocacy@birmingham.gov.uk

Contact details

Customer Relations Service
Directorate for People
Room 311, Council House Extension,
6 Margaret Street,
Birmingham, B3 3BU
Tel: 0121 303 5161, option 2 (answer machine service available)
Email: CYPFSSCustomerRelations@birmingham.gov.uk
Opening hours:-
Mon-Thurs. 8:45am - 5:15pm
Fri 8:45am - 4:15pm

Other information

Equal Opportunities

It is your right to be treated fairly, respectfully and with dignity when making a complaint, regardless of your racial identity, sexuality, disability, age, culture, religion, gender or status.


Complainants whose first language is not English can be provided with an interpreter through an independent agency. This service is free of charge if you need it.

Access to records

The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you the right to see information that we hold about you. You can only see information about another person if they agree.

Contact the Corporate Information Governance Team:-

Tel. 0121 303 4876