Trading Standards - Vehicle Complaints and Investigations
- provide traders with advice on their legal responsibilities.
- investigate complaints and advise consumers of their rights.
- prosecute those who commit criminal offences such as 'clocking' vehicles and selling unroadworthy vehicles.
- monitor newspaper and online publications to identify traders claiming to be private sellers
- investigate complaints about unsafe and unroadworthy vehicles
If you are thinking of buying a second hand vehicle you might like to visit www.adviceguide.org.uk for further advice on what to look out for.
Remember, if you are buying from a trader you have rights if the car turns out to be faulty. So always be on the look out for traders who sell from home and who are pretending to be private sellers as this means that they are trying to get out of their legal obligations to you.
If you are in any doubt, just walk away!
If you have any query relating to MOT tests you can obtain help and information from the directgov website by selecting the following link: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_10020539
If you are a business that sells and/or supplies services to consumers, The Business Companion has a wealth of useful information for you.
For further information or to make a complaint please contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 0345 40 40 506.