For more information on Consumer Education please contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 08454 04 05 06 or visit Citizens Advice
A large number of information leaflets are produced by the Office of Fair Trading and can be downloaded from their website. Some of the leaflets which are available include:
- Are you fit to join? - A guide to health club membership terms (OFT380)
- Buying a new car (OFT707)
- Buying a PC(OFT615)
- Consumer entertainment contracts (OFT691)
- Fair terms for care (OFT688)
- Holiday clubs (OFT642)
- Shopping from home (OFT334)
- Unfair tenancy terms (OFT381)
- Your doorstep your decision. A guide to keeping control of doorstep sales (OFT733A)
- Your guide to private dentistry (OFT660)
Work with Schools and Young People
Consumer Education has become more prominent following the introduction of Citizenship to the school curriculum. The work of Trading Standards is relevant to several areas of the school curriculum and we are happy to provide help and support in those areas. Our Young Consumers of the Year Competition and Consumer Challenge Quiz (special schools) are both informative and extremly popular annual events.
Careers in Trading Standards
We attend School Careers Days offering advice for students on Trading Standards related courses. We have a 10 minute video and DVD avilable for loan which details a day in the life of aTrading Standards Officer.
The http://www.askcedric.org.uk/ website provides a wealth of information and links to numerousl consumer education resources used by Trading Standards and other consumer organisations. Consumer Education information can also be found on the Trading Standards Institute web site.