Due to essential maintenance, the website may be unavailable during the weekend. We apologise for any inconvenience.
Sutton Coldfield District Chairman's Welcome
Welcome to the Sutton Coldfield District pages.
Sutton Coldfield District Committee is now in its eleventh year of responsibility for the management of local services. You will be aware that nationally, massive changes are taking effect in the way public services are delivered. Reductions in funding are leading councils across the country to explore a vast array of ways to keep services running, while managing their budgets more efficiently. Birmingham is no different - we find ourselves in very challenging times.
Over the past ten years Sutton Coldfield District’s Elected Members, supported by a team of locally based officers have been working hard to safeguard and improve local services to meet your needs and aspirations. We are proud to have achieved much over that time. Some of our successes include a range of physical projects including:
- Improving facilities at Wyndley Leisure Centre, replacing the roof of the swimming pool, improving changing facilities, providing a new dance studio
- Improving pedestrian and vehicular access to the Norris Way Recycling Centre
- Implementing countless road improvement and car parking schemes
- Providing a hub at Mere Green Community Centre
- Refurbishing Sutton Coldfield Library
- Providing festive lighting and floral displays across the district
Some other successes have come in far less obvious forms:
- We developed a Town Centre Partnership in 2009 which later became a Business Improvement District Company (BID) in 2011, operating now to support and promote businesses large and small within the town centre
- We supported the YMCA in starting up, developing and sustaining a detached youth work programme called ‘Streetwise’ in all four wards
- We have recognised the literary talents of many children through the highly successful Summer Reading Challenges which have become established in Sutton Coldfield’s culture and financially supported by Sutton Coldfield Charitable Trust
- We have recognised the amazing talent of our sporting community through providing a gala event annually at Sutton Coldfield Town Hall.
There are many other projects I could mention. However the priorities of the District are changing fast and we face a range of unprecedented challenges ahead.
We have always worked very hard to maintain and improve our services to meet customer expectations and have constantly sought to eliminate waste and duplicity. Now though, Sutton Coldfield like the other districts across the city has to deliver a range of budget savings and inevitably some tough decisions will have to be made.
There is much to be done and whatever the financial year brings, I can assure you that we will continue to work as hard as we possibly to keep the interests of Sutton Coldfield residents and visitors at the heart of our decision-making.
Central to our focus is the desire to keep Sutton Coldfield a pleasant place to live, work and visit.
Councillor Anne Underwood, Chairman
Sutton Coldfield District Committee