Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk



How do I buy a stall

 Love Your Bull Ring Markets! logo

Open/Rag Market

Traders are allowed to transfer their stalls but it is essential that approval from the Markets department is obtained BEFORE this takes place.

Transfer of a licence can be refused if the proposed intended business conflicts with the existing guidelines. For example if the purchaser intends to sell hot foods this is a strictly controlled line or if they intend to sell a line in close proximity to an existing trader selling the same line.

Stalls are sold on an individual day's trading basis, that is to say that a stall can be sold for trading on Tuesdays ONLY, there is no automatic right to use the stall on Fridays or Saturdays.

A passport must be seen along with proof of the traders address such as bank statements and no more than 3 months old.

Public Liability Insurance
All traders must carry Third Party Public Liability Insurance to indemnify themselves from claims for personal injury. This insurance can be obtained from most insurance brokers or through specialist bodies such as the National Market Traders Federation.

National Insurance
The traders National Insurance Number must be provided.

A recent photograph of the trader is required. This is kept on file for reference purposes.

PLEASE NOTE Traders may be refused a stall if they do not carry one or all of the items stated above.


If a citizen does not have a British passport proof of a Right to Work document is required www.gov.uk/government/organisations/uk-visas-and-immigration

Telephone: Markets Customer Centre, 0121 464 8349 or 0121 303 0302

Email: marketstalls@birmingham.gov.uk

Frequently Asked Questions