Information for Drivers and Operators
We operate an appointment system for all the Licensing services we provide. Please contact us if you need to apply for or renew your driver's licence, or to apply, renew, transfer or replace your vehicle licence.
By operating an appointment system we seek to ensure that drivers are not inconvenienced by being off the road longer than is necessary. So if you cannot attend your appointment for any reason please let us know immediately in order that an alternative appointment can be made.
Please note that if you are more than ten minutes late for an appointment you will be rescheduled for the next available appointment
Changes have taken place since we had a number of Consultation days with Disability groups.
- Additional vehicles are now allowed to be licensed as Hackney Carriages. (The Peugeot Euro7, Fiat Eurocab, and the Mercedes Eurocab).
- We are piloting Disability Awareness Training Days to provide drivers with the skills they need when carrying customers with a disability.
- We have provided details, through a bulletin, of what we have done and will be doing, to disability organisations.
- We have provided a list to disability organisations of operations providing vehicles with access to persons with a disability.
Disability Awareness Training Course for Private Hire Drivers
It is a requirement for obtaining your Private Hire Drivers Licence to attend and pass the Disability Awareness Training Course provided by the Disability Resource Centre.
You must book and pay for the course directly with Disability Resource Centre. For Disability Awareness Training enquiries please call 03030 40 20 40.
Further information can be found in the Disability Awareness Training Course Booking Form attached below.
Application Forms - Application forms for Drivers Licence, Private Hire Operators Licence and Vehicle Application are attached below.
Things to remember
Help us to provide the best service we can, and ensure that you comply with your conditions of licence.
- Always let us know if you receive any Conviction, Caution, or Motoring Endorsement within 7 days in writing to the Licensing Section. (If it is a motoring endorsement do not wait for your licence to come back from the DVLA before telling us).
- If you sell or transfer your vehicle licence you must inform the Licensing Section in writing within 14 days, stating the name and address of the person you have sold the vehicle to. Make sure you get the plate changed from your name into their name.
- We need to keep you up to date with any changes, help us to do this by letting us know your current address at all times.
- Changing operations? Then let us know before you start work with your new operator!
- Remember you can only ply for hire if you are a licensed Hackney Carriage driver of a Hackney Carriage vehicle. If you are licensed for Private Hire then you can only do jobs that are booked through your Operator.
- Always wear your badge when acting as a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire driver.
Remember: we are here to help you if you are unsure about any licensing issue then contact a member of the licensing staff who will try and help you.
We meet with Hackney Carriage and Private Hire representatives every month and this gives us the opportunity to discuss any proposed changes and/or problems or other issues. In this way we try to ensure that we are working together to improve standards for everyone involved. The various associations and groups we meet with are set out below:-
Birmingham Black Cab Drivers Association
61b Caroline Street
Tel: 07773 326 149
Private Hire Association Ltd
98 Charles Henry Street
Tel: 0121 666 6777
Fax: 0121 666 6766
Shakeel Asghar – Chairman
Tel: 07017 002 001
Office e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office hours 10am-5pm Monday to Friday.
Computer Cab (Birmingham) Ltd
118/122 Charles Henry Street
Simon Haynes - General Manager
Tel: 0121 622 0888
Birmingham & Solihull Taxi Alliance
70 Warwick Street
Tel: 0121 772 0000
Mohammed Rashid – Chairman – 07836 264 102
John Campbell – Liaison Officer 07973 941 587
West Midlands Taxi Association Limited
13 Cuckoo Road
Tel: 0121 326 7661 or 07787 180 999
Opening Hours Mondays & Wednesdays 12 – 3.00 p.m.
100 Vivian Road
Secretary: Tariq Rashid
Tel: 0121 426 0129
Birmingham Taxi Co-operative Limited
25 Elm Close
Tel: 07817 420 988
Liaison Representative: email@example.com
Birmingham Taxis Limited
5 Highfield Road
Tel: 0121 777 3777
We meet with your trade representatives every month, so please contact them if you are interested in becoming a member, remember it helps you and others to be heard in a collective way.
You can also check our newsletter "Driving Forward", for the latest news and information. A copy of the latest issue of Driving Forward is attached below and include lots of information, advice and news.
Comments, Complaints, and Compliments
We are always interested in hearing from you about the services we provide. Did you know that we have a comments, complaints and compliments form that you can either complete and forward online or alternatively pick one up the next time you call at our office, see address below. Once you have completed this form and passed it to us we will, if possible, act on it and make changes where necessary. We will keep you informed of what we do, and also if we cannot do anything. Remember not only can you tell us when you are unhappy, but also when we are getting it right. This helps us to build on the services that we already provide.
REMEMBER, if you are licensed for Private Hire do not ply for hire or stand on Hackney Carriage Ranks because you will be caught which may result in you being prosecuted.
For further information please contact:-
Aston Cross Business Village,
50 Rocky Lane,
(Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: 9am-4pm Wednesday: 10am-4pm Friday: 9am-3.30pm)
Please note that ALL licensing applications will be dealt with by pre-booked appointments only.
Fax: 0121 303 9796