What is the Council Tax Charter?
"This Charter sets out the service that you can expect from the Council Tax Office.
It shows the standards we have set and want to maintain.
As a Council Taxpayer you have the right to a high quality service."
Stephen Hughes - Chief Executive
- Send out accurate Council Tax Bills.
- Collect Council Tax promptly and efficiently.
- Deal with your enquiries promptly and efficiently.
- Provide clear and up-to-date information.
- Help you understand your rights and obligations.
- Continually improve our standards and services.
- Give value for money in our services.
We will also:-
- Tell you what our standards are.
- Provide clear information.
- Ask for your views.
- Follow up any complaints received and provide a full explanation of our findings (please see "How to Complain" at the bottom of this page).
Formal complaints will be investigated by a senior manager who will tell you the outcome and may need to interview you about your complaint.
These standards have been set and are in place.
We do regularly review our performance and the standard of service we provide.
- Your letters/emails will be actioned or responded to within 10 working days of being received. All of your questions will be answered.
- Claims for exemptions and discounts will be actioned within 10 working days of receiving all the necessary information.
- Replies will be signed by the person dealing with your enquiry.
- During peak periods, for example during March when the new bills have been sent out, it may take a little longer to deal with your enquiry.
- Our specially trained telephone answering team is available to take your call during the publicised hours.
- The information you give will usually be dealt with immediately.
- All of your questions will be answered.
- We know that some customers have difficulty getting through at very busy times. We have employed more staff to take your calls, and we will be monitoring this area closely
Our Staff will:-
- Be well trained.
- Be courteous, helpful and patient.
- Be fair
- Make every effort to answer your questions.
- Tell you your rights.
- Explain Council Tax law.
- Give their name when you ask.
- Provide help in a number of languages.
We have a duty to collect Council Tax from all taxpayers. We will:
- Send bills within 10 working days of receiving the required information.
- Provide a variety of payment methods.
- Make payment arrangements with taxpayers in difficulty.
- Take prompt recovery action.
- Chase payment from those who will not pay.