Cemeteries and Crematoria - Quinton Cemetery
The office administration for Quinton Cemetery has been moved to:
Kings Norton Cemetery
Longdales Road, Kings Norton, Birmingham. B38 9BU
Telephone: 0121 303 7043
A Brief History
Quinton Cemetery was opened in January 1923 as the 2 churchyards from Quinton Parish Church had reached full capacity. The history of the cemetery dates back to 1911 when the City Council initially approved the purchase of 45 acres of land between Halesowen Road and Narrow Lane (forming part of Hagge Farm) for the purpose of a cemetery. Since that date, several acquisitions of land have been made and other areas transferred, sold or exchanged resulting in the present total area of 51 acres.
A new chapel, office and registrars house, were erected in 1936, of which only the office and house now remain.
Full graves, children's graves and cremated remains graves are available. Sections are designated as Free Church, Roman Catholic, Consecrated and there is also a section for use by the Chinese Community. Burials can take place in either private or public graves.
Bricked grave spaces are also available at Quinton, located in the older, traditional areas.
Quinton is the only City Cemetery lying outside the City boundary.
Garden of Remembrance
Quinton Cemetery has had a Garden of Remembrance since 1994. This is used for the scattering of cremated remains.
Quinton has sections which permit Lawn A and Lawn B type memorials. Lawn A memorials are without bases, Lawn B memorials have bases. The remainder of the grave is turfed over, although up to 18" (46cm) from the memorial may be cultivated. No fences, kerbing or chippings are permitted.
Small pockets of land for traditional memorials are available. Full memorials running the length of the grave are permissible. No fencing is allowed.
A copy of the Rules and Regulations relating to the cemetery can be obtained from the office.
Within the Garden of Remembrance is an octagonal memorial planter, on which can be mounted inscribed memorial tablets of polished red granite inlaid with gold lettering. In addition to the tablet there is a posy vase at the base of the memorial.
Grave Tending - various grave tending options are available.
Memorial benches may be purchased in memory of a loved one. They may be placed in a chosen spot within the cemetery in consultation with a member of the office staff.
Temporary Memorials - Grave Markers
(up to 24 months)
Perspex Grave Markers are offered with or without a wooden ground fixing stake and can be fully personalised. These are available in either Gold or Silver.
Inscriptions can be complimented by the addition of motifs or photographs.
For further details and prices please speak to a member of the cemetery office.
HOW TO FIND US
Travelling by Road:-
From Birmingham take A456 Hagley Road to Quinton. The cemetery gates are on the right 300 yards after the cinema.
From M5 come off at Junction 3 onto A456 Quinton expressway towards the City, then at roundabout return back up A456 signposted Quinton (keep left) over roundabout. The cemetery gates are on the right 300 yards.
Travelling by Bus:-
From City Centre take No. 140 bus to the Stag and Three Horse Shoes Public House. Walk back to the cemetery approximately 200 yards.
Travelling by Train:-
From Snow Hill to Rowley Regis Station - the cemetery is a 30 minute walk.
To view a location map for Quinton Cemetery, please follow the link at the foot of the page.
Tel: 0121 303 5583
Fax: 0121 459 8284
The Cemetery will be open to visitors: -
Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays
February, March, April,
May, June, July, August,
Special times for opening and closing apply on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
Burial Registers - research and copies of entries