Green Routes and Canals
The first stage of the Birmingham Cycle Revolution is underway, with work on improvements to upgrade a number of Birmingham’s canal towpaths and green routes for cyclists.
Canal towpath improvements started in February 2014 and are due to be completed by the summer of 2015. For a full update on towpath closures associated with the Birmingham Cycle Revolution upgrades please visit the Canal and River Trust website. Plans showing the scheduled works are also included below for the overall delivery scheme and the Spoke 2 delivery scheme.
The programme of off-road 'Green Routes’ in parks and along river valleys approved in January 2014 includes:
- Improvements to existing cycle ways such as re-surfacing or improved signage and/or access points;
- The creation of surfaced cycle ways along existing informal paths; and
- The creation of new cycle ways.
The following is our full programme of green routes:
- Rea Valley quick wins;
- Small Heath Highway between Coventry Road and Grand Union Canal;
- Hazelwell Road;
- Ackers Adventure site and Manor Farm Road Park;
- Park Lane Sandwell Valley - Hamstead Park;
- Sarehole Mill - Green Road - Stratford Road;
- Bordesley Green East/Bachelors Farm;
- Perry Hiill Playing Fields and Cherry Orchard;
- Chinn Brook Recreation Ground; and
- The Dingles - John Morris Jones proposed cycleway.
Copyright: Based on OS map data
Copyright: Based on OS Map data