Post and Mail Urban Design Brief - Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG)
The Post and Mail Planning and Urban Design Brief sets out proposals for the future direction of the site adjacent to Colmore Circus Queensway in the city centre.
The area has potential for a phased regeneration over a period of time, with redevelopment proposals currently emerging.
The key objectives of the document are to:
- promote Civic Use (Magistrates’ Courts), Commercial Offices and Public Car Parking as the primary uses of the site.
- promote Residential, Leisure, Retail and Hotels as supporting uses of the site.
- provide potential for new commercial uses and a location for the new Magistrates courts in the centre of Birmingham.
- provide possible phased urban brownfield redevelopment with ready access to the public transport networks.
- emphasise the ‘City Living’ objective by providing a mixed use of working and living.
- propose a new Public Square on the site, enhancing the existing network of open spaces in the city centre.
- develop the area into a key pedestrian access route.
The Planning and Urban Design Brief was adopted in March 2004 in order to provide planning and urban design guidance and will be used for the determination of future planning applications in the area. It has been approved as a Supplementary Planning Guidance.
A copy of the document is below along with a map showing the area covered by the proposals.
Document Status : Statutory Policy Document - Adopted March 2004
Last Updated : 2nd August 2012