Now we have our brand new Library of Birmingham, attention turns to the site of the old library in Paradise Circus and the opportunities the redevelopment of the site and surrounding land can bring to the City.
- The site covers 17 acres in the heart of the City Centre
- The area includes the site of the old library and surrounding land, incorporating the Copthorn Hotel
- Redevelopment provides the opportunity for additional 1.8 million square feet of office space
- redevelopment will also include shops, leisure facilities, cultural and civic amenities and a new hotel
- The site is within the City Centre Enterprise Zone
What will development bring to the city?
Paradise Circus site is located in the heart of the City Centre between Centenary Square and Victoria Square, in close proximity to Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, the new Library of Birmingham, International Convention Centre and Brindley Place.
The redevelopment scheme will make a major contribution to our vision for the city and is key to delivering
- new employment opportunities
- new business space which is vital to the economy of the city
- significant enhancements to the setting of the city’s historic buildings
- major improvements to pedestrian routes, road layout and public space
- the reinstatement of old street patterns, better linking Centenary and Victoria Squares.
The Story So Far ...
- February 2013 - Outline planning permission was granted
- May 2013 - Compulsory Purchase Order made to acquire the necessary land to enable comprehensive development to take place
More detailed information can be found on www.paradisecircus.co.uk/
Last Updated : 9th January 2014