Permitted Development Changes May 2013
Shortcut to this page: www.birmingham.gov.uk/pdchanges
New rules governing house extensions and commercial changes of use came into effect on 30th May 2013.
In brief, the key changes include allowing the following without the need for planning permission.
- larger single storey rear extensions to residential properties
- larger extensions to industrial and warehousing premises, shops and offices
- conversions between office and residential uses
- more flexible uses of shops, offices, residential institutions and agricultural buildings
- easier conversion of premises for school uses
- telecom installations in conservation areas
Please note : If you want to carry out one of the above you will still need to notify us of what you want to do.
A summary document of the changes and what you need to do are below. Full details of the criteria and procedure are contained in the legislation and on the Planning Portal's Website
Householder Prior Notification Form
Last Updated : 30th June 2013