Historic Parks and Gardens
Shortcut to this page: http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/historicparks
English Heritage maintains a Register of Historic Parks and Gardens of special historic interest in England. Inclusion in the Register is a ‘material consideration’ in the planning process, meaning that planning authorities must consider the impact of any proposed
development on the landscapes’ special character.
15 historic parks and gardens in Birmingham are on the Register. They range from Sutton Park, which originated as a medieval deer park, to the 1960s campus landscape of The Vale at the University of Birmingham, and include formal gardens and parks around great houses, Victorian public parks, botanical gardens and cemeteries.
Aston Park includes remains of formal gardens and a deer park around the 17th century Aston Hall. Castle Bromwich Hall and most of its grounds are in Solihull but part of its South Avenue of mature oaks runs through Buckland End. Former parkland around the 18th century Edgbaston Hall is now a golf course.
Handsworth Park was opened as a public park in 1888, including pleasure grounds and meadows of the Grove Estate. Land now Cannon Hill Park, formerly meadows belonging to Cannon Hill House, was given to the Council in 1873 by Louisa Ryland. The garden around the Chamberlains’ house at Highbury Hall was developed in the late 19th century and Winterbourne Botanic Garden, now part of the University of Birmingham, was created in 1903 in the Arts and Crafts style around the house of the industrialist John Nettlefold. Birmingham Botanical Gardens opened in 1832. Westbourne Road town gardens are a rare survival of 19th century rented gardens.
Key Hill Cemetery in the Jewellery Quarter is the earliest of the City's cemeteries, opened in 1836 as a burial ground for use by all denominations. The Church of England Cemetery at Warstone Lane was opened in 1848. In the north of the city Witton was opened in the middle of the 19th century, and Brandwood End in the south was established by King's Norton Rural District Council and opened in 1899.Detailed information on individual Parks and Gardens is in the National Heritage List
Last Updated : 17th May 2013