Due to essential maintenance some of our forms will be unavailable on Saturday 20th December 2014 between 8.00am and 8.00pm. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
This is perhaps one of the 'lost jewels' in Birmingham's Crown. Formally the grounds of one of our finest statesmen, Joseph Chamberlain lived in the adjacent Highbury Hall (itself now a banqueting centre).
In January 1923 The Birmingham Civic Society purchased 42 acres of land in Kings Heath known as the "Henbury's". This purchase was of considerable importance, as it preserved the amenity of the adjoining estates of Highbury and Uffculme, which together became known as Highbury Park.
The land was bought at public auction for £9,000 (around £480,000 in today's money) and was gifted to the City on the understanding that the Society would be consulted in all matters relating to the lay-out and treatment of the grounds. The gift from the Civic Society more than doubled the size of the park
The grounds were lovingly landscaped at the turn of the 20th Century with extensive tree planting and other more 'exotic' areas identified as the Dutch gardens, predominately planted with bulbs and the Italian gardens using terracotta brick work reflecting the Mediterranean theme.
Your Parks Service, together with Highbury Park Friends are aiming to secure funding for park improvements. Ultimately, we would like to put the park forward as a contender for Heritage Lottery Funding - an initial consultation has been completed.