The History of Weoley Castle
Weoley Castle was once the centre of the medieval manor of Northfield. It was surrounded by a moat and a defensive wall with six turrets and was a typical fortified manor house of the medieval period in the Midlands.
So far excavation has established several periods of habitation dating from around 1100, but there are indications that there may have been occupation there even earlier.
Various buildings can be traced in outline. These include a laundry, a bakehouse, a brewhouse, a chapel, a Great Hall, garderobes and a kitchen. Of architectural interest are masons' marks on the stonework of the outer walls.
What can be seen today, however, are only the remains of later structures erected by Roger de Somery and his son after 1264. Weoley Castle changed hands several times until 1531, when it was sold to the Jervoise family - who never lived there - and the castle fell into decay. For many locally it was used as a convenient source of stone for building.
In 1930 the Weoley Castle estate was bought by the City Council, and the site of the castle was partially excavated and preserved for the people of Birmingham. Objects found during excavations in the 1930's and 1950's have been preserved originally on site, and later at the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery.