Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Support for people to stay as independent as possible in their own home

What does the Home Care Enablement Service do?
The Home Care Enablement Service helps you to relearn skills such as washing, dressing and cooking, or learn new ways of doing things, so you can be as independent as possible. We will work with you at home for up to six weeks. We will help you to learn, or relearn, how to manage at home and get your confidence back.

Who is the Home Care Enablement Service for?

The Home Care Enablement Service may be for you if you:

  • have been in hospital and need help to learn how to manage when you get home; or
  • are finding it difficult to manage living at home.

How do I apply for the Home Care Enablement Service?

If you are in hospital, a hospital social worker will talk to you about the Home Care Enablement Service before you leave hospital.

If you live at home and you are having difficulty managing, we will arrange for a social care worker to visit you and assess your needs.

Assessing your needs

For more information about getting an assessment of your social care needs, please see the How to get adult social care services page.

You can ask us for an assessment by contacting our Adults and Communities Access Point (ACAP).

Phone: 0121 303 1234

Email: ACAP@birmingham.gov.uk.

Am I eligible for the Home Care Enablement Service?

If we assess you and you are not eligible for the Home Care Enablement Service, we will give you advice and information about other services and organisations that may be able to help.

What happens next?

If you have critical or substantial needs, a social care worker will work with you to make an enablement plan.

This will show the areas you need help with and how you want us to give you that help.

Your enablement support plan will look at:

  • how much you can do for yourself
  • what you want to achieve
  • the tasks you need to do to be able to carry on living at home; and
  • the people who will provide your support.

Your Home Care Enablement Service will start when we have written and agreed your enablement plan.

What kind of support is available?

For up to six weeks we can help you relearn, or learn a new way, to:

  • get in and get out of bed
  • get in and out of the bath or shower
  • get dressed and undressed
  • prepare meals and snacks and
  • practise using any new equipment.

We may give you equipment and devices to help you live as independently as possible in your own home, such as:

  • a bath lift to help you relearn or change the way you get in and out of the bath or
  • a kettle tipper, kitchen trolley or perching stool to help you relearn how to prepare drinks and meals.

We may ask an occupational therapist to help you choose the most suitable equipment for your needs. We can help you to practise using it.

The support we give you may also include products known as ‘assistive technology’.

Assistive technology

Assistive technology is a range of devices that can help you stay safe at home.

Examples of assistive technology include a falls detector that alerts a relative or carer if you have a fall at home and a pill dispenser that will remind you to take your medication.

Reviewing your enablement plan

When you have had four weeks of support, your social care worker will visit you to see how you have been getting on. We call this a review.

The review will help you and your social care worker decide if you will need more care after you have had the Home Care Enablement Service for six weeks. If you do, we will do another assessment to see if your needs have changed.

Will I have to pay for the Home Care Enablement Service?

The Home Care Enablement Service is free for the first six weeks. After this, you may have to pay something towards the cost of any care we provide for you. How much you have to pay will depend on your financial situation.

A member of staff from our Fairer Charging Team will visit you to ask about what money you have already and what money you could get from the Government and from us. You won’t have to pay anything until you have had a financial assessment.

More information and contact details

If you would like more information about the Home Care Enablement Service, please read the leaflet below 'An easy guide to the Home Care Enablement Service' or contact the Adults and Communities Access Point (ACAP).

Phone: 0121 303 1234

Textphone: 0121 303 6245

Email: ACAP@birmingham.gov.uk

Other pages

How to get adult social care services

Rehabilitation and enablement service

Other websites

The Department of Health web page 'Care Services Efficiency Delivery' has links to general information about enablement (also called 're-ablement').


If you would like any of our leaflets, forms or other documents in another language, in Braille, in large print or on audio tape, MP3 or CD, please phone the Communications team on 0121 464 3123 or email Accommunications@birmingham.gov.uk. All our adult social care leaflets, forms and documents are free in any format.

Comment on this page

Please send us your feedback about this web page.