Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Loudspeaker Consent scheme

To use a loudspeaker in the street between 9pm and 8am you must apply for consent from the council.
Loudspeaker use may be prohibited. This page tells you more about applying for consent and includes the necessary forms at the bottom.

Under Section 62 of the Control of Pollution Act 1974, as amended by section 7 Noise and Statutory Nuisance Act 1993, restrictions are placed on the operation of loudspeakers in the street. In particular loudspeakers shall not be operated between the hours of 9pm and 8am for any purpose.

For the purpose of the legislation "street" means a highway and any other road, footway, square or court, which is for the time being open to the public.

Under Section 8 of Noise and Statutory Nuisance Act 1993 the local authority may adopt powers enabling them to grant a consent for a loudspeaker to be used between the hours of 9pm and 8am.

Birmingham City Council has adopted these powers and may grant a consent for the operation of loudspeakers within streets or roads between 9pm and 8am of the following morning (except for advertising or electioneering).

Persons wishing to operate a loudspeaker in the street between the above hours need to apply for a consent. This application is free of charge for the current year and is subject to compliance with the Code of Practice on Environmental Noise at Concerts, which is attached below.

Consents last for the period of the event or no more than 12 months for multiple events at one location. For multiple events the consent may be withdrawn if compliance with the conditions for the consent are not adhered to.

More information on the scheme is available on our Frequently Asked Questions web page and from http://www.opsi.gov.uk/, alternatively you can contact us at:

Tel: 0121 303 9938
e-mail: pollution.team@birmingham.gov.uk

Frequently Asked Questions

Under the Noise and Statutory Noise Act 1993 the City Council may consent to the operation of a loudspeaker in the street.

Consent cannot be granted to use a loudspeaker in any street for the purposes of advertising any entertainment, trade or business or in connection with an election.

When do I need consent

What if I use a loudspeaker in the street without consent?

What is a street ?

How and when should I apply for a consent?

How much will it cost ?

How are consent applications determined?

What happens if I withdraw the application or if it is refused?

Where can I get further advice or help?