Sheldon Local History Group
Sheldon Local History Group (SLHG) was formed in September 2002. It is based at Sheldon Library and meets the third Thursday of every month between 11am-12noon. So far the group has had a range of interesting speakers talking about various aspects of local history in Birmingham and its surrounding areas.
Membership of the group is approximately 20 - 25. There is a yearly subscription of £7, alternatively a small fee is charged for non-members attending meetings.
Images of bygone Sheldon
Previous speakers at Sheldon Local History Group
- Laurel and Hardy Midland Connections with John Ullah
"Read All About it" with Vanessa Morgan
David Donovan "History of the Birmingham Mint". Photographs of the "History of Birmingham Mint" event
- "Black and Asian Contribution to World War II" - a DVD and talk by Robert Lalljie
- Barbara Ellerslie "Midlands Connections with the Gunpowder Plot"
- Peter Leather "Historic Buildings of Birmingham"
- Elizabeth Perkins "The Court 15 Back to Back Project"
- John Aitken " A Tale of two Suburbs" Edgbaston and Bournville compared
- Miss M Fogg "Smallbroke Family of Birmingham "
- Mary Elizabeth Marshall: A Story From Our Family History" by Alice and Brian Randle.
- "Acocks Green 1940s to 1970s Part 1" with Mike Byrne
- "The Changing Times of Aston Hall" a talk on recent developments with staff from the hall
- "Brumroamin" a talk by Ted Rudge
- "Charles Dickens, Warwickshire and the Great Jennens case" with Laurence Ince
- "Small Heath, Then and Now: Part 2" with Val Comb and Edna Somen