Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Due to essential maintenance work being carried out, some of our forms may be unavailable from 5pm on Friday 27th May until 8am on Tuesday 31st May. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Dropped Kerbs


A dropped kerb allows vehicles to cross the pavement from the road to a driveway without damaging the pavement or kerb. The work involves lowering the kerbstones and strengthening the pavement to create a ramp, and must only be performed by ourselves or an authorised construction firm.

Please note that if you wish to request a kerb to be lowered to make it easier for pedestrians to cross a road, this is known as a Pedestrian Access Crossing. To make a request for this you will need to click the 'New work on the highway' button in the Related Links sidebar at the right of this page.

Essential Information
    • A site survey inspection fee of £77 is required when returning your application, failure to do so, will result in your application not being processed until payment has been received.
    • Do not construct a hard standing parking area until you have received a written quotation from the City Council.

Frequently Asked Questions
    • For dropped kerb applications you can use a Plain Text Application Form, a Web-based Form or an Online Applet. (Please see electronic forms help page for more information)

    • You must pay all costs involved in putting in a dropped kerb. We will give you an initial quotation for the work that includes our costs for providing the service. You will also have the opportunity to seek further quotations from a list of approved contractors. This list will be provided with our quotation. A quotation fee is payable in advance and is non-refundable. Should you decide to go ahead with the work, the fee is deducted from your quotation.

    • If you, or someone living with you, has a severe and permanent mobility disability, you may qualify for the 50 percent reduction. However, this only applies if the crossing at your home is the standard width of 2.75 metres/9 feet. If you request a larger width crossing or want to extend an existing crossing, the extra width will be charged at the full price.

    • To qualify for the reduction, you must EITHER;

      a) have a severe and permanent mobility disability.

      OR b) look after someone who lives with you who has a severe and permanent mobility disability.

      The disabled person must EITHER

      a) have a Blue Badge for parking (previously known as an Orange Badge).

      OR b) use an outdoor wheelchair.

      AND a) receive EITHER a Disability Living Allowance Higher Rate Mobility Component or Attendance Allowance.

      OR b) the GP or consultant must complete and officially stamp part D of the application form.

    • Yes, if the dropped kerb:

      • is on a main road or service road off it (you will need planning permission)
      • is to a building divided into several properties, e.g. flats (you will need planning permission)
      • is for offices, shops, health centres etc (you will need planning permission)
      • is in a conservation area (you will need conservation area consent if a tree on private land,e.g. in the front garden, needs to be removed)
      • is to a listed building (you will need listed building consent if the boundary wall to the property needs to be altered)
      • will cross over land belonging to someone else and which does not form part of the public highway(you will need a legal land easement from the owner).

      New rules apply to paving over your front garden. You will not need planning permission if a new or replacement driveway of any size uses permeable (or porous) surfacing, such as gravel, permeable concrete block paving or porous asphalt, or if the rainwater is directed to a lawn or border to drain naturally. If the surface to be covered is more than five square metres planning permission will be needed for laying traditional, impermeable driveways that do not control rainwater running off onto roads.

      For more information on these permissions, call our planning team on 0121 303 1115.

      Please note: we cannot give a quotation for a dropped kerb until you have all the necessary permissions.

    • No

      • your property is on a bend or at a road junction
      • your property is close to traffic signals
      • there is a steep slope between your garden and the road
      • your garden isn’t long enough (see question 8)
      • other reasons that apply only to the location of your property
      • the tree on the pavement outside the property cannot be removed

      • Yes, 4.75m deep/15ft 5in deep.
      • In exceptional circumstances, where the depth is less than 4.75m deep, and the width of an individual frontage is more than 12m, consideration may be given to providing a quotation.

    • The standard width is 2.75m/9ft. However, if you want the dropped kerb to be wider, please tell us the width you would like when you fill in question 6 in our dropped kerb vehicle crossing application form.

    • The dropped kerb will be made of Tarmac, concrete, paving slabs or block paving. It will be of similar material to any other dropped kerbs in the road. If the dropped kerb is near a tree, tarmac may be used to reduce future maintenance costs.

    • No, the dropped kerb will be part of the public highway. When you have a dropped kerb put in, you are paying only for the right of vehicle access to the property. After a dropped kerb has been built, we are responsible for maintaining it. Our Highways team reserves the right to alter the dropped kerb in future so that dropped kerbs can be put into neighbouring properties

    • If these will be affected by putting in a dropped kerb, your quotation will include the cost of strengthening, lowering, or moving the apparatus

    • A tree will not be removed if we are extending an existing dropped kerb or there is space to the side of the tree to put in a new one. We will tell you if the tree needs to be removed or whether only its roots and branches need pruning. The cost of any tree work will be included in our quotation and this work must be completed before the dropped kerb is put in.

      Please note: it can take up to six weeks for us to give you a cost for the tree works and an estimated eight weeks after we have received your payment for the work to be carried out.

      Please be aware that the council’s Chief Highway Engineer may not approve the removal of a tree, for example if the road has a mature stock of trees or several trees have already been removed.

    • You should not create a drive in your front garden until you have gained all the necessary permissions and we have given you a quotation for putting in a dropped kerb.

      If you do not already have a drive for parking, we recommend that you create one when we build the dropped kerb. Without a drive your vehicle could leave mud or other debris from your garden on the pavement or road, and this may lead to legal action.

    • Complete the Dropped Kerb Application Form (Form DK1). Attached Below

      If you would like further information please contact

      Dropped Kerbs Team
      1 Lancaster Circus Queensway
      B4 7DQ

      Tel: (0121) 303 7577

      E-mail: droppedkerbs@birmingham.gov.uk

    • A dropped kerb allows vehicles to cross the pavement to and from a driveway without damaging the pavement or kerb. The work involves lowering the kerbstones and strengthening the pavement to create a ramp.

    • If you haven't been able to find the information that you need then the link below will take you to a form that you can use to ask us further questions.

      Service Specific Enquiry