Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Advertisement

Advertising

Quinton Photos: Early 1900s - 1939

Quinton Photos: Early 1900s - 1939

Quinton Lane to Hagley Road West.1934


A semi-rural Quinton Lane, pictured here in January 1934, with its junction with the Hagley Road West.
On the right, the house pictured, was demolished to make way for the new Holly Bush Pub. On the left is a farmers field. Development of the area meant these fields would dissapear rapidly in the next two decades.




Windmill Farm, Ridgeacre Lane


Windmill Farm, was one of a number of small farms in the area. It was situated in the middle of the current Ridgeacre Lane.
There was at one time, a windmill, not too far away.







The Red Lion pub, Hollybush, Quinton. 1937


The Red Lion Pub is shown on the left of this picture. It was demolished to make way for road widening. The curve of the Hagley Road West near to the Perry Hill junction is sitill the same today. The bus, probably the number 9, is heading towards Birmingham.





The Red Lion pub, Hollybush, Quinton. 1937

The Hollybush was the name of the pub , which is on the right of the picture. Originally located further up the hill, it was rebuilt in 1937. It changed its name after a long while to Jeffersons and is now known as The Toby Restaurant. This picture, taken in September 1938, shows the Hagley Road West after being levelled and widened. The road is pretty much the same today. On the left, some of the houses were demolished to make way for the shopping area. This part of Quinton, is still known as The Hollybush.




Quinton Lane to Hagley Road West.1934

The Perry Hill junction with the Hagley Road West. Taken in October 1937, it shows a sign saying "site for Dare's Distinctive houses" on the right of the picture. It advertises "deposits from 98". This is in the area of Clydesdale Road.




The builders H. Dare and Son Ltd built many roads and houses in the area on thirty acres of land formerly belonging to Windmill Farm. Dare's also developed and built Edenhall Road, Grayswood Park Road and Whitley CourtRoad amongst others.



The Golf Clubhouse, taken in May 1939. It is now the site of Quinbourne Community Centre in Ridgeacre Road.