Unfortunately some of our forms will be unavailable between 03/07/15 (17:00 hours) and 06/07/15 (08:00 hours). We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
eBooks from Birmingham Libraries
What you need to know
This 24/7 ebook service is free and is designed to be used by library members outside the library. Due to licensing restrictions, this service is available only to members who live, work or are currently being educated in Birmingham.
New this month ! More titles added in ebook and eaudiobook format.
You can download fiction, non-fiction and children's books to an e-reader, mobile phone, PC or tablet PC. We do not yet have a licence for use with a Kindle in the UK.
This is the link to the site birmingham-uk.lib.overdrive.com
You will need a full library card to create your account. Sign in with the usual library card login - without spaces and missing off the last two numbers or letters.
You will also need to get an Adobe ID in order to download the Adobe Digital Editions software required to download the ebooks. This is explained on the site when you start downloading.
What can I download to ?
You'll find a list of compatible devices and which formats they can use at www.overdrive.com/resources/drc. We have bought the EPUB and PDF formats.
You can download up to three titles at a time and can choose between a 14 day and 21 day loan period. At the end of this period, the ebook will stop working.
If the title you want has already been downloaded, you can add your name to the Waiting List.
You'll be notified by e-mail when the ebook is ready and you have just 3 days to download it before it’s returned to the collection.
How do I return eBooks early?
Adobe eBooks can be returned early using Adobe Digital Editions. To return Adobe eBooks early.
1. Open Adobe Digital Editions on your computer
2. Select the 'Library View' icon (this is the image of books in the upper left corner).
3. The Adobe Digital Editions library is displayed.
4. Under the 'Bookshelves' heading, select 'Borrowed'.
5. Click on the eBook you want to return.
6. Click the 'Item Options' arrow (in the upper left corner of the selected eBook).
7. Select 'Return Borrowed Item' from the drop-down list.
8. Click 'Return' to verify that you want to return the title or ‘Cancel’ if you do not want to return this eBook.
The eBook is now returned.
See this link for a step by step guide
* eBooks can also be returned early using the latest OverDrive Media Console app (v18.104.22.168) for Android.
If you receive an error message when using your 14 digit library card number to sign in to the ebook service, please contact as at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our eAudiobooks are still available at www.birmingham.gov.uk/eaudiobooks
Free eBooks OnlineThere are many websites which offer free ebooks. This is a link to some of the free books online.
Welcome to the Public Library Online
Public Library Online (a division of Bloomsbury Publishing) offers access to a dynamic range of fiction and non-fiction titles, from a range of renowned publishers. Access the books using any internet enabled device in the library, whilst you’re on the move, or from the comfort of your own home.
Public Library Online have made two of their bookshelves available to Birmingham Library members
- Ten of Shakespeare's best-known plays in the Arden Edition with notes and criticism
- Our Environment - eleven titles on this important topic
Please note - these titles cannot be downloaded, but can be read online.