King Edward's School in 1841
King Edward's School, New Street, in 1841. This was the third building on the site; the school having been founded by Edward VI in 1552. The original plan by Sir Charles Barry also incorporated a spire on the roof, however the school cost far more to build than the original estimate, and the spire was not included. It was a beautiful building, but there was no space for sports fields and so on. The King Edward's Foundation had sold some of the land it owned in central Birmingham, New Street station was built about ten years later on land behind the school that had been purchased from the Foundation.
The building was demolished in 1936 when the school moved to Edgbaston.