Bickley Oratory 1825
Hagley Road Edgbaston, future site of Oratory
This is a plan of part of the turnpike road leading to Hagley, then known as the Halesowen Road, now the Hagley Road. Monument Lane is now Monument Road, the road leading 'To Edgbaston Church' is now Highfield Road. This is 'Plan of land at the Five Ways Edgbaston'. Five Ways lies about half a mile to the east of the land shown here; it is probable that this name was given to the area. The Plough and Harrow still stands at the junction, the building has been extended since 1825.
Plough and Harrow Hotel (circa 1900)
The Roundabout, marked in blue, became the site for the Oratory Church. The site was chosen by John Henry Newman, and the original church built in 1852. It was rebuilt 1903 to 1906 to offer a beautiful and fitting memorial to Newman.
Bickley maps, 383106