Unfortunately some of our forms will be unavailable between 03/07/15 (17:00 hours) and 06/07/15 (08:00 hours). We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
The Last Horse Tram at Nechells 1906
The last horse trams from the City to Nechells were withdrawn in favour of an electric service on September 30th 1906.
Birmingham began the process of electrification around 1900 and opened the first overhead electric line on the Bristol Road on the 13th May 1901. By June 1902 the City of Birmingham Tramways Company were operating 21 overhead electric trams, 54 cable trams, 89 steam engines, 76 Double Decker steam trams, 10 horse cars, 45 horse buses and 608 horses.
The tram in the image above was one of only 10 special narrow gauge horse drawn trams produced for the route from Birmingham to Nechells. The route wasn't considered worth the expense of running steam trams as it didn't make enough money.