The Bull Ring and St. Martin's circa 1830, by David Cox
The market is in the foreground, and immediately behind is the statue of Nelson. This was the first public statue in Birmingham, unveiled in 1809. Funds for it were raised by public subscription. In the background is St. Martin's, Birmingham's parish church. This is not the original mediaeval sandstone building which appears in Dugdale's etching of 1656, as it was crumbling, and had been cased with brick in 1690.