Ernest Dyche Collection
Ernest Dyche (1887-1973) was a self taught photographer who initially specialised in theatrical portraits producing photographs of music and variety hall artists who performed on the Birmingham stage. Dyche opened his first studio in 1910 in Bordesley Green and then opened a second studio in Balsall Heath a few years later.
During the 1950s Dyche clientele changed significantly reflecting both the decline of theatregoers and the incoming wave of migrants arriving from Africa, the Caribbean and the Indian sub-continent. For the next 25 years the bulk of the studio clientele was drawn from Birmingham and Balsall Heath Asian and African-Caribbean community. The studio finally closed in the 1980s.
The Dyche Collection was donated to Birmingham Libraries in 1990.
The Ernest Dyche Collection can be seen by appointment in the Library of Birmingham, Archives, Heritage and Photography department.
Images are copyright of Library of Birmingham, Archives, Heritage and Photography department.
For more details, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org