Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Due to essential maintenance the online account may not be available between 18:00 hours and midnight.
Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Trading Standards - Food and Agriculture

Trading Standards investigates complaints about false descriptions applied to food. To make a complaint about a trader you will need to contact Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 03454040506 or visit the www.AdviceGuide.co.uk. They will refer any matters for our attention, or anything that needs looking into.

If you require further advice or would like to make a complaint regarding animal health or food safety then you will need to contact Environmental Health

The legal controls relating to foods include the fertilisers used on crops and the feeds given to animals. These are subject to controls to ensure that they are not toxic or have an effect on the crop or animal, which could end up in the food product.

Officers have powers under the Agriculture Act 1970, to inspect and sample feed given to farm animals and pets to make sure that they are wholesome and not dangerous to animals, pets or human beings. Officers may sample portions of the material to ensure the particulars are accurate

Animal feed or fertilisers must be clearly labelled with information relating to their storage, handling or use. There must also be information about the substance and quality, for example the nutritional content.

Other Sources of Information
Food Standards Agency
Trading Standards Institute
Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs