Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Unlicensed Family Entertainment Centre Gaming Machine Permits

Gaming permits are issued to premises that either offer very low-stakes and prize gambling or premises whose primary function is not the provision of gambling facilities.
This page tells you more about unlicensed family entertainment centre gaming permits, how to apply and provides some useful links.

In accordance with the Gambling Act 2005 premises which are mainly used for people to play on gaming machines, such as small arcades in holiday parks, theme parks and seaside resorts are required to hold a Family Entertainment Centre (FEC) gaming machine permit.

Unlicensed Family Entertainment Centres provide category D machines for use by families and unaccompanied children.

These permits will have effect for 10 years when they should be renewed and there is no annual fee to be paid.

If the operator of a Family Entertainment Centre wants to make Category C machines available, in addition to category D machines, then they need to apply for an Operating Licence from the Gambling Commission and then a Premises Licence from the Licensing Authority (Birmingham City Council). This means that holders of Premises Licences issued under the Gambling Act may not apply for Family Entertainment Centre gaming machine permits.

More information

How to Apply

Guidance and Advice

Public Register