Due to essential maintenance work being carried out, some of our forms may be unavailable from 5pm on Friday 27th May until 8am on Tuesday 31st May. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
Revenue and Collection Service
The Revenue and Collection Team are responsible for ensuring the annual rent notification is implemented. We are responsible for collecting Shared Equity rents and Sundry Debt charges, both of which are explained below. We are part of the Homes and Neighbourhoods Directorate, and are also responsible for:
- checking that you are charged the correct amount of rent
- maintenance of general rent accounts
- ensuring that your rent account is accurate
- ensuring that rent payments you make show on your rent account.
Rent and service charges
Service charges are shared costs paid by customers who receive shared services, such as in high-rise flats. Shared services might include maintaining lifts, concierge service, caretaking, lighting and cleaning of communal areas.
Rent and service charges are reviewed annually. We will write to you four weeks before any change in your rent or service charge so that any direct debits or bank standing orders you have set up to pay your rent or service charges can be altered.
If you are subject to service charges, details of your new service charges will also be included in this letter so that you can see the full breakdown of your new weekly rent.
We will aim to refund any credit on your account within 10 working days once we have checked that your account is in credit and you have no other debts to be cleared.
For more information on your rent and service charges please visit our Rent and Debt Collection Frequently Asked Questions page.
A sundry debt is a charge for a service provided by us that is separate from your rent or service charge.
You will have a Sundry Debt if you have received a service from the Place Directorate. For example, if you have had a rechargeable repair carried out or you have a Careline Alarm you will receive an invoice.
Invoices should be paid immediately.
If you have problems paying your Sundry Debt you should telephone the Sundry Debts Team immediately on 0121 675 2420 or 0121 303 3350. A member of the team can advise you about payment options.
Yes. If you do not pay your sundry debt we may take legal action against you. You will be liable for any costs we incur from taking this action; they will be added to your debt.
We can also refer your debt to a debt collection agency to collect on our behalf and they may visit you at home. You will be liable for any costs we incur from taking this action; they will be added to your debt.
You should telephone the Sundry Debts Team immediately on 0121 675 2420 or 0121 303 3350. A member of the team will advise you on how to avoid this action. They will consider stopping action or adjourning the case if you are able to clear the debt in full or make a reasonable repayment arrangement.
If you have a Sundry Debt garage account you may be sent a Notice Seeking Possession for non-payment. This means that we will change the locks and take possession of the garage. If this happens, you should contact the Sundry Debts Team immediately on 0121 675 2420 or 0121 303 3350. A member of the team will advise you on how to avoid this action.
We will work with you to identify the reason for your arrears and if you are unable to clear the arrears in full we will then agree a realistic repayment plan based on your personal circumstances. If you are experiencing problems paying your rent or have multiple debts, you can visit www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk for free and impartial advice.
You must contact the Sundry Debt Team immediately on 0121 675 2420 or 0121 303 3350. A member of the team will advise you on how to bring your payments up to date. You will have a maximum of one month to do this.
Yes. We aim to refund any credit on your account within 10 working days once we have checked that your account is in credit and you have no other debts to be cleared.
Shared equity rent accounts
There are several ways that you can pay these accounts:
- by telephone: Customers can telephone 0121 464 2001, select option 3, at any time of day or night to pay their rent using our automated service.
If your 12 digit payment reference number begins with `41` then please call our cashiers office during office hours (8.45am – 5.00pm Monday to Thursday and 8.45am – 4.00pm on a Friday) on 0121 464 9671
- online: Shared Equity customers are able to pay using their debit or credit card on our secure internet payment facility at www.birmingham.gov.uk/payrent
- standing order: You can set up a weekly, monthly or quarterly standing order from your bank account to pay your Shared Equity rent account or Sundry Debt. To set up your payment, telephone the Sundry Debts Team on 0121 303 3350
- at a payzone outlet: Shared Equity customers can pay with cash or debit card at their local PayZone outlet. You will need your rent payment card
- at a PayPoint outlet: Shared Equity customers can pay their rent with cash at their local PayPoint outlet. You will need your rent payment card
- at the Post Office: You can pay your rent or Shared Equity rent account or Sundry Debt charge by debit card, cash or cheque at your local post office. You will need your rent payment card or invoice. Cheques should be made payable to `Post Office Ltd`
- by post: you can send a cheque or postal order to Birmingham City Council, Corporate Resources, PO Box 16472, B2 2DY. Make it payable to Birmingham City Council Housing and write your name, address and payment reference number on the back in order for us to ensure the payment is paid to your account
- by bank giro credit: Sundry Debt customers can make payment at any bank, although a fee may be charged. Please remember to write your reference number on the back of the cheque
- Housing Benefit: if you are a Shared Equity customer on a low income, you may be able to claim Housing Benefit to pay for all or part of your rent. For more information, telephone the Sundry Debt Team on 0121 303 3350
Shared Equity rent customers can use their plastic swipe card to pay using most of the methods detailed above. It has your rent reference number in the bottom right hand corner.
If you have lost this card and need a replacement, please telephone the Sundry Debt Team on 0121 303 3350.
Yes. If you fall into rent arrears we can refer you for further court action.
If you do not understand our documents, then please ask a friend or relative who understands English, to contact us. We will then arrange for an interpreter to speak to you in your language.
- provide induction loops and sign language facilities if you need them
- use written and spoken language that is clear and easy to understand
- provide you with written documents that are easy to read
- offer documents in large print, Braille or on audio CD if required.
You can telephone the Rent Control Team on 0121 675 2626 and a member of the team will help you.
You can telephone the Sundry Debts Team on 0121 675 2420 or 0121 303 3350 and a member of the team will help you.