Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk



Sports and antisocial behaviour

Sports including such activities as football, skateboarding, rollerblading, tennis, rounders etc can all be a nuisance for residents and affect their day to day living.

Where possible youths should be encouraged to conduct these activities in the local park, or open space. However more too often such games and sports are carried out in the road outside people's houses and this inevitably can cause some residents some annoyance and sometimes even distress.

Sporting activities can also cause damage to property and vehicles, and if this happens then the damage should be reported to the local police on 0845 113 5000.

If the complaint is about a council tenant or children of a council tenant then you need to report your complaint to your local housing team who have the powers to take action against the tenant.

There are less powers available to deal with sporting activities where a council tenant is not involved.

Youths should be advised to move their activities to a more suitable place in the first instance, although it should be remembered that some parents may be uncomfortable with their children being out of their sight. Try talking to the parents and coming to an arrangement that suits all parties.

For persistent problems, or where the activities encourage a large group of youths, sometimes congregating from farther afield, you should contact the local police on 0845 113 5000.

The police may attend and disperse the groups. They will record incidents or reports and from this be able to identify 'hot spot' areas, which they may choose, target to resolve the problems.

The police and local authority have been given new powers under the Antisocial Behaviour Act 2003 whereby they are able to disperse groups whose presence or behaviour has, or is likely to result in a member of the public being harassed, intimidated, alarmed or distressed. For this to take place there are processes that both organisations have to go through to apply for a dispersal order so such behaviour should be reported to the police.

You should note that this power will be used for the more serious and persistent problem areas.