Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk



Moving out of Birmingham

If you're a tenant of Birmingham City Council but want to move to another part of the country, there are several things you can do:

  • apply direct to the council that covers the area you want to move to. You can find a list of councils at www.gov.uk/find-your-local-council
  • apply direct to any registered social landlords (housing associations) that have properties in the area.
  • advertise for a tenant to exchange homes with, by putting a card in post offices, newsagents and so on in the area that you want to move to. This is called Mutual Exchange. Before you swap you must seek permission from your local housing office. For more information, please contact your local housing office.