Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Trading Standards - Food and Agriculture Standards

Food Standards legislation relates to the type of food, labelling and description applied to food by businesses. It also relates to transportation, use, marketing and storage of food.
This page provides you with advice, guidance and legislative information regarding Animal by-products, Feed Labelling and Surplus Foods.

Premises are inspected to ensure that food on sale or for supply is correctly labelled, complies with compositional standards and not offered for sale beyond ‘use by dates’.

If you require further advice or would like to make a complaint regarding animal health or food safety, then you will need to contact Environmental Health.

Animal by-products

These regulations aim to control the risks, including disease, to both animal and human health.

If you are a food retailer, distributor or manufacturer who in the course of a business is left with raw meat or fish which is no longer intended for human consumption (eg raw meat or fish past its use by date), then these regulations affect you.

The following two categories of food fall into the lowest category of animal by-product waste, which is category 3, and so must be disposed of in accordance with the above regulations.

Raw meat and fish - Includes meat and fish off-cuts, products that require cooking before consumption, eg scampi, fish fingers, raw sausages, chicken kiev, bacon. These products must be disposed of at a registered premises by one of the prescribed methods, such rendering, incineration, or disposal at a registered biogas or composting plant.

Former foodstuffs - Uncooked and lightly cooked meat, poultry and fish that are no longer intended for human consumption (eg due to commercial reasons, or manufacturing/packaging defects, and also out of date foods). This includes, for example, rare cooked meat, beef jerky, Parma and Serrano ham, raw eggs and smoked salmon. These products must also be disposed of at a registered premises by one of the prescribed methods.

For further information on this legislation please contact Birmingham Trading Standards or visit the Government's web page containing guidance for the animal by-product industry.

Feed Labelling

This advice covers the labelling of any type of compound or manufactured animal feed which is on sale in any of the following ways:

  • Loose from bins or other retail displays in sale quantities of less than 50kg.
  • Packaged by the retailer in small amounts by breaking bulk.
  • Bought in already packaged.

The advice does not cover the manufacture of animal foods.

What labelling is required ?

Where do I find the 'Statutory Statement' ?

How do I pass the 'Statutory Statement' on to my customers ?

What other problems are there ?

I run a pet shop and sell small bags of pet food that I weigh up from bulk sacks. Do I need to label the small bags ?

Surplus Foods

The Feed (Hygiene and Enforcement) (England) Regulations 2005 mean that businesses involved in the production, use, transportation, storage or marketing of animal feeds must be registered or approved by the City Council's Trading Standards service or another appropriate agency.

These businesses include:

  • Livestock farms
  • Arable farms growing crops for feed use.
  • Companies that transport or store animal feed.
  • Food manufacturers selling by-products of food production into the feed chain.
  • Retailers and wholesalers of animal feed (excluding pet food).
  • Pharmacists who supply mineral and vitamin supplements for animals.

You can download a document below that will tell you which activities will require you to be registered or approved.

This advice is designed to provide basic guidance to traders. It is not a complete or authoritative statement of the law.

Do you supply excess and waste bread for animal feed ?

If so, do you realise that you are an animal feed business and need to comply with hygiene and labelling requirements ?

How to comply

What do you need to do ?

1. Register as a feed business with Trading Standards.

2. Provide required information to the person who takes the bread.

3. Ensure that you comply with feed hygiene requirements.

External Sources of Information

Food Standards Agency
Chartered Trading Standards Institute
Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

Follow us on Twitter