Be Active Plus - Information for surgeries
Referring a patient
If you would like to refer a patient please complete a Be active plus referral form, or a Birmingham Lifestyle Services Referral Form (completing section D1) and send it to the Be active plus office:
Fax: 0121 464 6035
40 Moat Lane
Reports are available on Be active plus – if you would like a copy please contact the team on the details above. The following statistics are based on figures for 1st April – 30 June 2013
Information from the exit stage of Be active plus
Number of people who have completed Be active plus since their start in April 2012 is 531
(note: patients are on the scheme for 3 months and so many results are still pending)
7 day PAR results
Self reported physical activity participation rates in the previous 7 days.
- Average increase of 44 mins in physical activity participation including walking (62% increase)
- Average increase of 73 mins in physical activity participation excluding walking (221% increase)
Blood pressure and resting heart rate
- Average decrease of 2 mmHg for the systolic score
- Average decrease of 2 mmHg for the diastolic score
- Average decrease of 3 beats per minute for resting heart rate
Body Mass Index
- Average decrease of 0.4 units
- Average reduces from 33.5 to 33.1 – a 1.2% decrease (both scores in obese category)
Patients are asked to complete a mental health questionnaire – WEMWBS – which provides a score the higher the number the better their mental health.
- Average increase of 2 points (5.5% increase)
Note: the questionnaire is not designed to measure changes over time, rather for statistics for populations as a whole
Patients are asked how many alcohol free days they have each week.
- Average increase of 1 alcohol free day per week – from 5 to 6 days per week.
The results are pleasing - all results are positive
The results provide objective data that people are being much more active during their time on Be active plus with the 7 PAR results, which is the main aim of the scheme.
For more details contact:
Sarah Barge – Vulnerable Adults Project Manager – 464 6056 or email@example.com