Quinton Ward lies around five miles west of the city centre along the Hagley Road West. Originally it was a small village, also known as "Ridgeacre", and was home to a mixture of small farms and nail-making industries. It now stretches to the borders of Halesowen, Warley and Harborne.
In 1894 a map showed Quinton as being along High Street and Bissell Street, whilst the agricultural land around it was known as Ridgeacre. Farms included, Red Hall Farm, near to where Quinton Library now is; Windmill Farm along Ridgeacre Lane; Ridgeacre Farm by the junction of Quinton Road West and Ridgeacre Lane; Four Dwellings Farm where Four Dwellings School is and Mopbeggar Farm near to Moats Meadow.
On November 9th 1909, Quinton became part of the ever-expanding Birmingham. Only residential homes were planned for the area. This was due to the gentry of Edgbaston not wanting unpleasant odours from factories reaching them, as the wind blew from Quinton to Edgbaston!
The next century saw a constant expansion in the provision of housing. Today, the area is still residential. Most of its green spaces have disappeared, although some do remain. Quinton Meadows (a site of importance for nature conservation) borders the 1960s M5 development and a new business park recently built on some of the Meadowland. The recreation ground still remains and Woodgate Valley Country Park and Pitts Wood provide timely reminders of the wards rural, Greenfield heritage.
Find out more about the history of Quinton Ward.
Quinton Ward Committee meetings
Contact for meeting arrangements: Errol Wilson, Area Democratic Services Officer.
Tel: 0121 675 0955 or 0121 303 4772. Email: email@example.com
The major decisions and actions from previous ward committees can be found as an attachment at the bottom of the page.
These dates are subject to change, for confirmation of dates, contact your Ward Support Officer.
The Ward Support Officer for Quinton is Tina Willetts and can be contacted on 0121 464 5393 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.