Shopping in Birmingham
There are over 11,000 shops in Birmingham, providing a very wide range of retail establishments. Many of these shops are shopping centres and parades across the City.
We have monitoring information on nearly three hundred of these locations, in addition to a number of out-of-centre retail sites.
This Report, produced in 2004, provides a snapshot of the retail trade in Birmingham, at both City-wide and local levels.
It draws on a number of sources including
- a 2004 Survey of 5000 residents in Birmingham and immediately surrounding areas, repeating similar exercises undertaken in 1984 and 1994;
- a physical survey of Birmingham's larger retail locations, including floorspace, number of units, service user levels and vacancy rates;
- small area and total expenditure estimates for a range of convenience and comparison goods based on retail expenditure estimates and residents actual shopping behaviour. These were used to calculate turnover levels for each of Birmingham retail locations;
- the 2001 Population Census; and
- a survey of physical stock was also undertaken.
The Executive Summary and full report are below.
Last Updated : 25th March 2013