Application to Place a Skip on the Public Highway
If you wish to place a skip on any part of the highway (public road) in Birmingham, you must apply to us for a skip permit.
You must be a registered Skip Operator to place a skip on any part of the highway (public road) in Birmingham.
When applying for a skip permit, you will be required to provide the following details of where you wish to site the skip:
- House/building number / name
- Start date (the date on which the skip will be installed)
The maximum licence period for a skip is 7 days. After this time, you will need to apply for a new skip permit.
The charge for a permit is £17.
If you do not have a valid permit for any skip placed on the highway (public road) you will be required to apply for a permit retrospectively, at a cost of £165. Failure to do so could result in the skip being removed with associated costs charged to you as the skip operator. For further information please see Terms and Conditions below.
Provided the skip is not to be located on a traffic sensitive street, for example within the city centre, your permit will be issued via email directly after submission of your application. Otherwise, your application will be considered by the Highways Service (which may take up to 5 working days), and you will receive an email which will inform you whether your application was successful.
- We advise that you apply for a skip permit 5 days prior to start date.
- You do not need consent to place a skip on private land. However, you must take due care if using the highway to load or unload. If a skip lorry has to cross a footway to gain access to private land, you must construct a temporary or permanent crossing in the footway.
- Charges apply to any skips left on the highway longer than permitted.
The charge for a removal/disposal of non-permitted skips charge will be £190.00 per skip.