Birmingham City Council

Land Ownership/Boundary Issues


Such disputes are private matters and are not regulated by us. These must be resolved between neighbours, (unless involving Council owned land). Often the deeds of privately owned properties contain boundary ownership details.

You may find that the following works to or near shared walls (including repairs) fall within the scope of The Party Wall Act 1996:

  • Work on a wall, floor or ceiling shared with another property
  • Building on the boundary with another property
  • Excavating within 6 metres of an adjoining building.
Essential Information
  • We advise you to approach land owners to try and resolve the problem. However, if this is not possible, you may like to get advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau or your solicitor on the best possible way to resolve the matter.

Frequently Asked Questions
attached document The Party Wall Act
Can't open the PDF document?
Then download the free Adobe Reader from Adobe