Due to essential maintenance work being carried out, some of our forms may be unavailable from 5pm on Friday 27th May until 8am on Tuesday 31st May. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
If you and your neighbours are not getting along together or you are experiencing any kind of harassment, we always try to help resolve disputes in a friendly and calm way in the first instance. In order to do this Birmingham City Council has a Mediation Service. You can request advice online by clicking the above button. We work with neighbours to help them come to a solution that they are happy with and which meets their needs.
The are many benefits to the mediation process:
- It can be effective at first stage;
- It can prevent escalation or recurrence;
- It seeks to find a win / win solution;
- It helps to establish a common ground;
- It helps people to jointly make realistic, workable agreements;
- It is relatively quick and has a high success rate.
Often mediation is all that is needed for neighbour disputes to be resolved satisfactorily.
Mediation is a voluntary service which is now available for residents throughout Birmingham regardless of whether or not you are a council tenant, a home owner, a Housing Association tenant, or a tenant of a Registered Social Landlord or private landlord.
If you are experiencing problems with your neighbours that you feel could be resolved by mediation you should contact the following departments for further advice:
- Council Tenants [whether you or the other party is a tenant] :
Contact your Local Housing Team.
- For Home Owners, Housing Association Tenants, Registered Social Landlord Tenant or a Private Tenant :
Contact the ASB helpline on 0121 303 1111 and you will be referred on to BASBU.
Independent – they don't make a report on you
Impartial – they don't take sides
Experienced – they have worked on cases just like yours
Approachable – they will listen to you and help you to get your point across.