Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Unfortunately some of our forms will be unavailable between 03/07/15 (17:00 hours) and 06/07/15 (08:00 hours). We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk



Licensing Alcohol Restricted Areas

What is an Alcohol Restricted Area?
The Criminal Justice and Police Act 2001 includes a number of powers to combat crime and disorder, including measures to deal with alcohol related problems. The act gives local authorities the power to designate areas 'Alcohol Restricted Areas' where it will become an offence for any person to drink alcohol after being requested not to do so by a police officer.

Who declares an area an Alcohol Restricted Area?
The City Council has delegated the powers to declare Alcohol Restricted Areas to the Licensing Committee.

How is an area declared an Alcohol Restricted Area?
On application (see application form below) the City Council must, in accordance with the Alcohol Consumption in Designated Public Places Regulations 2007, follow set procedures before designating an area an Alcohol Restricted Area.

Before designating an area the Council must consult :
(i) The Chief Officer of Police for the area proposed.
(ii) The Parish or Community Council in which the proposed area is situated.
(iii) The Chief Officer of Police, the Local Authority and the Parish or Community Council for any area NEAR to the proposed area.
(iv) The licensee of any licensed premises in the area or which it is considered may be affected by the designation.

The Local Authority must also take reasonable steps to consult the owner(s) or occupier(s) of any land within the proposed area and publish a notice identifying the proposed area, setting out the effect of the order and inviting representations. No order can be made until at least 28 days after the publication of the notice.

Where can I obtain a list/map of the areas which have been declared as Alcohol Restricted Areas?
A schedule is attached below which identifies those areas which have already been declared Alcohol Restricted Areas and those areas that are proposed and which are currently subject to consultation arrangements. A map of the declared ARAs is also attached below.

What happens after an area is declared an Alcohol Restricted Area?
Once an area has been formally declared an Alcohol Restricted Area the Council must erect signs identifying the place and effect of the order.

What can happen to a person drinking alcohol in an Alcohol Restricted Area?
It is an arrestable offence to fail, without reasonable excuse, to comply with a police officers request to cease drinking alcohol in a designated Alcohol Restricted Area. The police also have the power to confiscate and dispose of any alcohol and containers in the persons possession.

You can apply for a specific area to be designated an Alcohol Restricted Area online by selecting the link Alcohol Restricted Area form.

If you wish to download the form and complete it, a copy of the form is attached below.

Who do I contact to find out more about Alcohol Restricted Areas?
You can speak to one of our Licensing officers at:
Licensing Section,
Crystal Court,
Aston Cross Business Park,
50 Rocky Lane,
B6 5RQ
(Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 9.00am - 4.00pm
Wednesday 10.00am - 4.00pm
Friday 9.00am - 3.30pm)

Telephone: 0121 303 9896
Fax: 0121 303 9982
e-mail: licensing@birmingham.gov.uk