Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk

Welcome to birmingham.gov.uk


Your rates bill is worked out based on the rateable value (RV) of your property.

The RV is not determined by the council but by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA), an agency of HM Revenue & Customs.

If you are unhappy with your RV you can approach the VOA and

  • ask them to correct an error, OR

  • ask them to revalue your property if it has been altered in such a way as to affect the RV or there have been changes in the locality which you believe have reduced the value of your property

To check your RV in the rating list and for advice on how to make an appeal go to their website.

If you are not happy with the VOA’s decision you may be able to appeal to the Valuation Tribunal (VT). For details of the process go to their website.

We will respond in writing once we have reviewed our decision. We aim to do this within 28 days although you should receive a reply much sooner.

  • If we agree your liability is incorrect we will send you a revised bill

  • If we decide our original decision was correct we will provide you with a full written explanation.

If you wish to challenge our decision you will need to attend a liability order hearing at the magistrates’ court.

You may wish to instruct a rating agent or surveyor to appeal on your behalf but they will charge you.

The council does not endorse particular companies or individuals but you are advised only to deal with qualified members of the IRRV or RICS.